Tips for smoothie success
- Freeze your own fruit: Cut up fruit - such as bananas or pineapple - into pieces and store in a freezer bag.
- To freeze fresh berries for smoothies, spread the berries out on a swiss roll tin in a single layer and pop it in the freezer. Once the berries are frozen, transfer them into a freezer bag. (This method prevents the berries from sticking together.)
- Use skimmed milk or low-fat yoghurt if you're watching fat and calories.
- For an extra hit of nutrition, blend plain yoghurt, flax seeds, oats, wheatgerm or tofu into your favourite smoothie recipe.
- If a smoothie recipe calls for sugar, try it first without the added sweetener. You might not need it, depending upon the natural sweetness of the fruit.
- Take a second to rinse out the blender right after you use it, even if you're planning to wash it later; dried-on fruit makes for slow washing up.