Tips for gingerbread success:
• Chill the dough before rolling it out. You'll find it is much easier to work with after it's been refrigerated for at least an hour.
• Roll the dough out on a work surface lightly dusted with a mixture of flour and icing sugar, or between pieces of baking parchment.
• Keep biscuit cutters from sticking to the dough by dusting them with flour.
• If you're cutting out large or delicate shapes, save them from falling apart by rolling out the dough on baking parchment, removing the scraps and sliding the parchment directly onto a baking tray.
• Let gingerbread cool completely before you ice it.
• A simple glaze of icing sugar and milk works well for decorating gingerbread men, women, boys and girls. Add extracts or citrus zest to enhance the flavour.
• Use liquid or paste food colouring to transform icing into your desired colour palette.
• Add decorations before the icing dries. Some decoration ideas include: coloured decorating sugar, desiccated coconut, toasted flaked almonds, hundreds and thousands, dragées, multicoloured nonpareils, chocolate buttons, dried currants, Smarties.
• Let decorated biscuits stand until icing sets, about 2 hours.
• Gingerbread biscuits can be prepared up to 2 weeks ahead and stored in single layers between sheets of greaseproof paper in airtight containers.
For easy, tasty recipes, see our Gingerbread collection, or our entire Christmas recipe collection for even more ideas.