Black Bean and Couscous Salad
- 280ml (10 fl oz) chicken stock
- 175g (6 oz) uncooked couscous
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 spring onions, chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- small bunch fresh coriander, chopped
- 175g (6 oz) frozen sweetcorn, thawed
- 2 (400g) tins black beans, drained
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Prep:30min › Cook:5min › Ready in:35min
- Bring chicken stock to a boil in a large saucepan and stir in the couscous. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, vinegar and cumin. Add spring onions, red pepper, coriander, sweetcorn and beans and toss to coat.
- Fluff the couscous well, breaking up any chunks with a fork. Add to the bowl with the vegetables and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve at once or refrigerate until ready to serve.
Black turtle beans, or simply 'black beans' for short, are especially common in Latin American cuisine. High in fibre and packed with nutrients, they're a healthy addition to any dish. If you can't find tinned black beans, use dried.
I had this with tortillas and some tomato salsa. It was ok, but I felt it was missing something (garlic or some chilli perhaps?). It's certainly very healthy and quick to prepare, but I'm not sure I'd make it again without a few tweaks! - 05 Aug 2012