Hearty Black Bean Chilli
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 500g (16 oz) turkey breast mince
- 3 (400g) tins black beans, undrained
- 1 (600g) jar passata
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Prep:10min › Cook:1hr10min › Ready in:1hr20min
- In a large heavy pot over medium heat, cook onion and garlic until onions are translucent. Mix in turkey and cook, stirring, until meat is brown. Stir in remaining ingredients. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 60 minutes or more, until flavours are well blended.
Black turtle beans, or simply 'black beans' for short, are especially common in Latin American cuisine. High in fibre and packed with nutrients, they're a healthy addition to any dish. If you can't find tinned black beans, use dried.
I made this today and didn't like it. Didn't like the black beans not for me. However, I gave to my sister and she enjoyed it. - 07 Nov 2010
I had never tried black turtle beans before, but fond them really quite pleasant. The recipe was very flavorsome, I would however add a bit more chili if you like it hot. The only thing I would say is I did find it a bit dry so I'm not sure whether some more liquids should be added.. think I'll bung some stock or water in when I try it next. - 05 Oct 2012