Black Bean Cakes
- 500g (1 lb) dried black turtle beans
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- half a bunch fresh coriander, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- For the sauce
- 8 tablespoons low fat plain yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon semi-skimmed milk
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
Prep:10min › Cook:1hr15min › Ready in:1hr25min
- Place black beans in a large pot with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour, or until tender.
- In an electric blender or food processor, process cooked black beans until smooth. Stir in cumin, chilli powder, salt and coriander; blend. Roll the mixture into balls, allowing 3 tablespoons of mixture per ball.
- Place balls between sheets of greaseproof paper and press down on the paper to form rounds about the thickness of your finger.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan. Fry the pancakes 2 or 3 minutes per side.
- In a bowl, combine yoghurt, milk and cayenne pepper (to taste). Serve the sauce over the hot black bean pancakes.
Something else. This is delicious. I used tinned black beans and needed to add some breadcrumbs in order to roll into balls. I put them in a tortilla with some tomato and soured cream and had as a main. - 15 Sep 2008
Something else. I added one large egg and about 75g polenta (corn meal). It made it easier to control the patties. I put them on a baking tray using parchment. I baked them on 180 for about 30 minutes they came out wonderful and I cut the fat. - 15 Sep 2008
Really tasty! I used tinned beans and they came out a little soft, but I'll definitely try again! - 15 Sep 2008