Wholegrain Breakfast Flapjacks
- 100g (4 oz) rolled porridge oats
- 60g (2 oz) wholemeal flour
- 60g (2 oz) wheat and barley nugget cereal, such as Grape-Nuts
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 beaten egg
- 4 tablespoons apple sauce or purée
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons dark brown soft sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 30g (1 oz) unsalted sunflower seeds
- 30g (1 oz) chopped walnuts
- 200g (7 oz) chopped dried mixed fruit
Prep:10min › Cook:30min › Ready in:40min
- Preheat oven to 160 C / Gas mark 3. Line a 23cm square baking dish with baking parchment.
- In a large bowl, stir together the oats, flour, cereal and cinnamon. Add the egg, apple sauce, honey, sugar and oil. Mix well. Stir in the sunflower seeds, walnuts and dried fruit. Spread mixture evenly in the prepared baking dish.
- Bake 30 minutes, or until firm and lightly browned around the edges. Let cool. Use the parchment to lift from the dish. Cut into squares, and store in the refrigerator.
Fab flapjacks! My husband loves these as he can take them on his cycle rides and eat them on the go - 18 Jun 2012
Is there any alternative for apple sauce and walnut? - 14 Sep 2011
Lovely, though I recommend you use less fruit than stated in the recipe, as it can be a bit over-powering otherwise. It was delicious, great for an early start or quick breakfast. Definitely going to make another load. - 08 Feb 2014