- 1 baguette, cut into slices
- 8 plum tomatoes, diced
- half a bunch fresh basil, chopped
- half a red onion, minced
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, halved
Prep:10min › Cook:5min › Ready in:15min
- Preheat oven to 200 C / Gas mark 6.
- Combine tomato, basil and red onion in a small mixing bowl; stir well. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
- Arrange bread on a baking tray. Place in oven, and bake until well toasted, approximately 5 minutes.
- Remove bread from oven, and transfer to a large serving platter. Let bread cool 3 to 5 minutes. Rub garlic into the top of each slice of toast; the toast should glisten with the garlic. Spoon the tomato mixture generously onto each slice, and serve.
Try spreading roasted garlic onto the toasted baguette slices for more garlic flavour.
Altered ingredient amounts. added one tablespoon each extra virgin olive oil and one tablespoon balsamic vinegar. Chopped clove of garlic - 23 Dec 2009
To answer poinientoctober's question in her review - it's important to use really ripe tomatoes. Sprinkle a tiny bit of balsamic vinegar on top - that should sweeten it a little. Looks good though! - 21 Aug 2009
I made this exactly to the recipe, but, unfortunately it tasted very bitter I'm not sure weather it was cooked for long enough? Can anyone tell me what I did wrong as I am not sure ?? - 21 Aug 2009