1 / 1 Picture by: Allrecipes
Buttermilk Seeded Loaf
- 1 (7g) sachet dried active baking yeast
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 175ml (6 fl oz) warm water (45 C)
- 350ml (12 fl oz) buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 dessertspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 250g (8 oz) wholemeal flour
- 550g (1 1/4 lb) bread flour
Prep:30min › Cook:30min › Extra time:2hr › Ready in:3hr
- In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- Combine buttermilk, butter, honey and the yeast mixture in a large bowl. Add the salt, all of the seeds and the wholemeal flour. Stir to combine. Add the bread flour, 50g (2 oz) or so at a time, mixing well with a wooden spoon after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 minutes.
- Lightly oil a large mixing bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with the oil. Cover with a damp cloth and put in a warm place to rise until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 190 C / Gas mark 5. Grease two 23x12cm (9x5 in) loaf tins.
- Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into two equal pieces and form into loaves. Place the loaves into the prepared tins. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until the tops are brown and the bottom of a loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!