Cajun Stuffed Peppers
- 6 large fresh green peppers
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- black pepper to taste
- 350g (12 oz) prawns, peeled and deveined
- 1 spicy sausage, diced
- 200g (7 oz) uncooked long-grain white rice
- 600ml (1 pint) chicken stock
- 225g (8 oz) passata
- 1 lemon - cut into wedges, for garnish (optional)
- hot pepper sauce
Prep:15min › Cook:50min › Extra time:10min › Ready in:1hr15min
- Preheat oven to 160 C / Gas mark 3. Grease an 20x30cm (8x12 in) baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Remove tops and seeds from peppers. Blanch in boiling water 3 minutes. Drain on kitchen roll.
- Heat olive oil in a large, deep frying pan over medium heat. Sauté onion until translucent. Stir in garlic, and season with oregano, Cajun seasoning and black pepper. Stir in prawns and sausage, and cook until prawns turn pink, 5 minutes. Stir in rice, and cook 1 minute. Pour in chicken stock and passata. Cook until thick, 15 to 20 minutes. Fill peppers with stuffing mixture, and place in baking dish.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until heated through. Serve with lemon wedges and hot sauce.
veryyy tasty! packed full of flavour and a nice thick texture makes for amazing comfort food. used risotto instead of the rice and melted some smoked and cheddar cheese with bread crumbs on the top and stuck it under the grill to crisp, yummy! - 04 Jan 2012
Delicious, but very, very filling! Lovely combination of flavours though! - 10 Aug 2013
good recipe - 17 Nov 2013