I Can't Believe They're Low-fat Brownies
- 60g (2 oz) plain flour
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 200g (7 oz) caster sugar
- pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 115g (4 oz) pitted prunes, puréed
- 2 eggs
Prep:10min › Cook:30min › Ready in:40min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas mark 4. Grease a 20cm (8 in) square cake tin.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cocoa, sugar and salt. Pour in oil, vanilla, prunes and eggs. Mix until everything is well blended. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared tin.
- Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until top is shiny and a cocktail stick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Make sure you use good-quality, unsweetened, 100% cocoa powder, such as Green & Black's.
Altered ingredient amounts. Scrumptious!!! A fabulous substitution that is so easy to make! I followed other reviewers and did 1 extra tbsp. cocoa, only 150g sugar, only 1 heaping tbsp. of oil, 1 tsp. vanilla and nearly 1 tsp. salt. I threw in a small handful of chocolate chips. Next time,I'll bake for about 23 minutes, for a fudgier bite. You can dust w/ icing sugar when serving them for others- that is if you don't eat them all yourself! - 21 Jul 2008
Used different ingredients. These were really good. I am a chocoholic with an unforgiving scale. This is a great way to satisfy chocolate cravings. I ate half of the tin the night I made these. The only thing I did differently was I used 4 egg whites to cut down on fat and cholesterol. My boyfriend and I loved them! - 21 Jul 2008
Used different ingredients. Very very yummy! I added a few raspberries which turned out to go really nicely (beware of seeds though)! x - 01 Nov 2009