Carne Asada Tacos
- 2 beef sirloin steaks, about 300g (11 oz) each, cut into thin slices
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- crushed chillies, such as Schwartz, to taste
- 1 lime
- 2 (300g) tins tomatillos, or 600g (1 lb 6 oz) fresh
- 2 fresh jalapeno chillies, or green chillies, seeded
- 3 tablespoons rapeseed oil, divided
- 300g (11 oz) beef stock
- To serve
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 to 3 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 avocado - peeled, stone removed and diced
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 lemon, cut into 6 wedges
Prep:30min › Cook:45min › Ready in:1hr15min
- Place sliced meat into a shallow bowl, and season with salt, black pepper and crushed chillies. Squeeze the lime juice over the meat, and turn until evenly coated. Cover, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a blender or food processor, combine tomatillos (green husk tomatoes) and chillies. Purée for 20 seconds.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat. Carefully pour in tomatillo mixture. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Stir in beef stock. Reduce heat, and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until mixture coats a spoon. Transfer mixture to a serving dish.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Stir in 1/3 of the beef, and sauté for 1 minute. Transfer to serving dish. Repeat with remaining beef. Meanwhile, heat tortillas in the oven or microwave, according to package instructions.
- To serve, place two tortillas on top of each other. Add desired amount of meat, spoon over some tomatillo mixture. Top with chopped onions, tomatoes, avocado and coriander. Garnish with a wedge of lemon, to be squeezed over taco before eating.
Beautiful. Used tinned tomatoes and chilli powder for the sauce, simmered until thick as directed, added in green peppers and chopped onions, then constructed it into enchiladas with the beef and topped with cheese. Served with just the avocado cold. - 10 Jan 2013