Serves : 4
- 450g (1 lb) sea scallops
- 8 limes, juiced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 5 spring onions, minced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1/2 fresh green pepper, minced
- 1 handful chopped fresh coriander
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
Prep:20min › Ready in:20min
- Rinse scallops and place in a medium sized bowl. Pour lime juice over the scallops. The scallops should be completely immersed in the lime juice. Chill the lime juice and scallops all day or overnight until scallops are opaque.
- Empty half of the lime juice from the bowl. Add tomatoes, spring onions, celery, green pepper, coriander, black pepper and olive oil to the scallop mixture. Stir gently. Serve in small glasses with a slice of lime hanging over the rim.
You may substitute a variety of seafood for scallops - sole, halibut, swordfish, squid - almost anything!
Something else. If using fish you should only cook the fish with the lime for a MAXIMUM off 5 to 10 minutes or at least until the fish is white and not opaque. If not then the fish will be rubbery. The secret t a good ceviche (cebiche) is fresh fish and to serve it immediately. Trust me i am a Peruvian and we invented this dish :D - 05 Jun 2011
Used different ingredients. I prefer a little heat in my ceviche, so I added one diced green chilli. It was delicious! - 21 Jul 2008
Wonderful, beautiful, classic. Get extra limes to make sure you get enough juice and use any leftovers for Margaritas. We cut each scallop in half to make sure they "cooked" thoroughly and let everything sit for another hour after combining. Very refreshing after a hot day at the beach. - 21 Jul 2008