Chargrilled Beef Salad with Thai Dressing
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 stalk lemon grass, cut into 2cm( 1 in) pieces
- handful chopped fresh coriander
- pinch chopped fresh mint leaves
- 225ml (8 fl oz) lime juice
- 5 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
- 110g (4 oz) caster sugar
- 675g (1 1/2 lb) sirloin steak fillet
- 1 head romaine lettuce - rinsed, dried and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cucumber, julienned
- 1 (250g) punnet cherry tomatoes
Prep:3hr › Cook:10min › Ready in:3hr10min
- In a large bowl, stir together the spring onions, lemon grass, coriander, mint leaves, lime juice, fish sauce, chilli sauce and sugar until well combined and the sugar is dissolved. Adjust the flavour, if desired, by adding more sugar and/or fish sauce. Set aside.
- Cook the steak over high heat on a preheated barbecue for approximately 4-6 minutes on each side, until it is cooked medium. Do not overcook. Remove from heat and slice into thin strips. Add the meat and its juices to the sauce and refrigerate, tightly covered, for at least 3 hours.
- Tear the lettuce into bite size pieces and place in a salad bowl. Arrange the cucumber on top of the lettuce, and then pour the meat and sauce on top. Top with the cherry tomatoes and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
Check out our BBQ how-to guides and videos for easy tips on how to BBQ to perfection!
Altered ingredient amounts. I was very eager to try this recipe as this is one of my favourite dishes at a local Thai restaraunt. This salad was not as spicy as the one I was trying to achieve and far too sweet, however it was much better when I cut the sugar in half and added some diced thai chillies to the marinade. I like it served over rice instead of lettuce. - 15 Sep 2008
Try these changes I bet you'll love them! Use red Thai curry paste instead of the chilli sauce. Next add bean thread or the clear silver noodles mixed into the salad! - 15 Sep 2008
We love this recipe. It's just like the beef thai salad we order in our favourite thai restaurant. - 15 Sep 2008