- 4 large Granny Smith apples
- 100g dried dates, chopped
- 100g raisins, chopped
- 2 tbsp light muscovado sugar
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 small orange, zest and spice
- 1 dollop Greek yoghurt or fromage frais, to serve
Prep:20min › Cook:1hr › Ready in:1hr20min
- Preheat the oven to 150 C / Gas 2.
- Halve each apple through the circumference and dig out the core with a dessert spoon from both halves, leaving bowl-shaped hollows.
- Mix together all the remaining ingredients except for the orange juice and fill the apples with the mixture.
- Place the stuffed apples into an ovenproof dish, pour over the orange juice and cover with aluminium foil. Transfer to the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Remove the foil and continue to bake for a further 20-30 minutes until tender but not mushy.
- Cool for a few minutes before serving with the yoghurt or fromage frais.
South African apples and pears are in season between February and October. Delicious varieties of apples and pears are widely available in British supermarkets, including speciality blushed Forelle pears and sweet, crunchy Royal Gala apples.