- Preheat the oven to 200 C / Gas 6.
- Wrap each asparagus piece in a piece of pancetta. The key is to wrap from the top downwards, spiralling the pancetta around the asparagus.
- Oil or butter a tray (not too much, just a light covering) and lay the pieces of asparagus and pancetta on this.
- Drizzle with the olive oil, lightly over the pieces. This will help crisp up the pancetta. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place in a hot oven, middle shelf for around 10 minutes - some ovens may be hotter than others therefore check every few minutes to make sure the pancetta isn't burning. Remove from the oven when the asparagus feels softer and the pancetta is crisp.
- They can be eaten by themselves from a platter or if they're being a starter they can be put with some salad and bread. It will go with a lot of side dishes so just experiment!
Make it healthier
You could use any type of ham/bacon, the pancetta can be quite salty, so a less salty equivalent would be fine as well.
The amount all depends on how many people you're serving for. I usually give around 2-3 per person, but this all depends on who I'm serving for. All you need to do it have the same number of asparagus pieces to pancetta strips, and you can judge how many you need on how many people you'll be serving.