Victoria sponge sandwich with vanilla icing, coconut and jam
Makes: 1 Sponge sandwich
- 175g butter or margarine
- 175g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 175g self-raising flour
- 50g butter
- 75g icing sugar, sifted
- a few drops vanilla extract
- 4-5 tablespoons raspberry jam (or your favourite jam)
- 4-5 tablespoons dessicated coconut
- 4 glace cherries (optional)
Prep:50min › Cook:18min › Extra time:20min › Ready in:1hr28min
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Line 2 18 to 19cm (7 in) sandwich tins with greaseproof paper.
- Cream butter or margarine and sugar until soft and light. Gradually beat in the eggs 1 at a time until well mixed.
- Sift flour and fold gently into the creamed mixture. Divide mixture between the prepared tins.
- Bake just above the centre of a moderate to moderately hot oven for 18-19 minutes or until firm to touch. Turn out on to wire rack and cool.
- Meanwhile, make the icing by combining the butter, icing sugar and vanilla and stirring till smooth.
- Sandwich the cooled cake together with the vanilla butter icing.
- Warm jam gently (do not boil). Spread over entire cake, then sprinkle with coconut. Cut cherries in halves and decorate top if using.
Serve with good quality cream or ice cream! If mixture curdles when eggs are being added, try adding a few spoons of flour. Avoid this by making sure that your eggs and butter are room temperature before starting.
How to ice a cake video
Watch our How to ice a cake video and see how to ice cakes with ease. You'll be icing perfect birthday and special occasion cakes in no time!
Great recipe, so easy to make. Will be making again. Thanks. - 05 Nov 2011
I would highly recommend this sponge cake recipe; it is a very light sponge, delicious. I have made it several times now it is always a winner!! - 29 Mar 2014
Tried this for my hubby as he loves coconut. Simple quick and he loved it - 04 Mar 2014