1 / 1 Picture by:
Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 large red chillies, chopped
- 1 (10cm) stick lemon grass, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 (6cm) piece fresh root ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 (5cm) piece galangal, peeled and roughly chopped
- 10 kaffir lime leaves, cut into thin strips
- 1 handful coriander leaves
- 100ml Chinese black vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons water
- 300g caster sugar
Prep:30min › Cook:15min › Ready in:45min
- Process the garlic, chillies, lemon grass, ginger, galangal, lime leaves and coriander into a paste in a food processor.
- In a bowl, mix together the vinegar, fish sauce and soy sauce.
- Place sugar into a saucepan with 4 tablespoons water and stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Turn the heat to high and cook for 4 minutes or until the syrup begins to colour. Continue to boil until the syrup is almost burning and gives out a toffee aroma.
- Quickly add the spice paste and stir for 1 minute. Stir in the vinegar mixture and cook for a futher 2 minutes, then remove from the heat. Allow to cool and pour into a clean glass jar, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Lemon grass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves and Chinese black vinegar can be purchased in Chinese/Oriental speciality shops.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!