Chocolate cake with ganache
29 people made this
About this recipe:
This is a moist and tender cake. The chocolate cake is covered with chocolate ganache, chocolate curls and fresh strawberries. It's the perfect birthday cake for any chocoholic.
125g unsalted butter
150g dark brown soft sugar
125g self-raising flour, sifted
4 tablespoons plain flour, sifted
1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
30g unsweetened cocoa powder
100g plain chocolate, melted and cooled
For the Topping
375g plain chocolate
175ml double cream
chocolate curls and strawberries
- Preheat oven to 160 C / Gas 2 1/2. Grease a deep 20cm round cake tin and line with baking parchment.
- Beat butter and sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time until just combined.
- Stir in self-raising flour, plain flour, bicarbonate of soda, cocoa, 100g melted chocolate and milk. Spread in cake tin and bake for approximately 1 hour 15 minutes or until firm to touch.
- Leave in cake tin for 15 minutes, then turn onto wire rack to cool.
- To make the ganache topping: Place 375g chocolate and cream in a medium saucepan. Stir over low-heat until chocolate is melted. Transfer mixture to a bowl, cover and refrigerate until almost set.
- Beat this ganache with an electric mixer until pale and spread over the top and sides of the cake. Press chocolate curls around sides. Decorate top with strawberries and extra chocolate curls.
I am thinking of making this but tweaking it could I cut the cake in half and spread the ganache in the middle.
- 17 Apr 2014
Great recipe, my first attempt at making a cake from scratch. Everyone loved it.
- 25 Jul 2016
Write a review
Click on stars to rate