Yummy Sourdough Bread
1 / 1
Yummy Sourdough Bread
5 people made this
About this recipe:
There's nothing quite like homemade sourdough bread. This recipe takes a little while to make, but it's really worth it. Enjoy alongside dinner or as a sandwich bread.
225ml warm water (49 degrees C)
2 (7g) sachets dried active baking yeast
250ml sourdough starter (recipe follows)
450g plain flour
1 tablespoon salt
1 egg white, beaten
For the Sourdough Starter
450g grapes, stemmed
340g bread flour
water, as needed
Extra time:2hr proofing ›
- To make the sourdough starter; Mash the grapes thoroughly and place in a covered container. Allow to stand at room temperature for 48 hours.
- Strain off the fermented juice and discard the pulp.
- Add enough warm water to the juice to make 450ml.
- Stir in the flour and leave at room temperature overnight.
- Replenish with 600ml of warm water and 250g flour daily if the starter is kept at room temperature. If refrigerated, replenish twice a week.
- To make the bread: In a glass, sprinkle the dry yeast onto the surface of 4 tablespoons of the warm water and allow to stand until it becomes foamy.
- In a bowl, combine the rest of the water with 3/4 of the sourdough starter.
- Add 125g of the flour. Stir until the dough starts to form and then add the yeast mixture. Mix for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining flour and the salt. Knead the dough until it is soft and elastic, 10 minutes or more.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Let rise in a warm place 27-32 degrees C until doubled in size.
- Punch down the dough and shape it into a round loaf. Place the loaf on a greased and polenta dusted baking tray.
- Let the loaf rise in a warm place, covered with a damp cloth, until it has doubled in size.
- Brush the loaf with beaten egg white and score the top of the loaf in a criss-cross pattern with a sharp knife.
- Bake at 230 C / Gas Gas 8 with a dish of boiling water under the oven rack for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 190 C / Gas 5. Remove the water and continue baking until the bread is well browned, about 35-45 minutes.
- Cool on a rack.
this is VERY yummy and morish.
- 15 Nov 2010
Write a review
Click on stars to rate