Crispy Vegetable Pakoras
- 75g (3 oz) chickpea (gram) flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 175ml (6 fl oz) water
- oil for deep frying
- 1/2 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 onions, sliced into rings
Prep:15min › Cook:10min › Ready in:25min
- Sift the chickpea flour into a medium bowl. Mix in the coriander, salt, turmeric, chilli powder, garam masala and garlic.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour. Gradually pour the water into the well and mix to form a thick, smooth batter.
- Over medium high heat in a large, heavy saucepan, heat the oil to 190 C.
- Coat the cauliflower and onions in the batter and fry them in small batches until golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes. Drain on kitchen roll before serving.
Something else. Add some bicarb of soda it make them really crispy. - 16 May 2011
I added the bicarb and although it was crispy and worked really, REALLY well with mushrooms, and was delicious, it was too runny for the onion rings and they were devoid of batter and soggy. Add a bit more flour and it'll workl for less dense veg. Overall great. - 08 Oct 2011
These were ok, although the batter was a bit runny and extremely salty. Would use half the amount of salt if I was making these again. - 27 Dec 2012