Pumpkin and Maple Syrup Pie
- 1 small sugar pumpkin
- 165g dark brown soft sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 160ml pure maple syrup
- 300ml single cream
- 1 teaspoon plain flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 (23cm) unbaked shortcrust pastry case
Prep:30min › Cook:2hr › Ready in:2hr30min
- Preheat oven to 190 C / Gas 5
- Cut up pumpkin and remove seeds. Place in large baking tin and cover with foil. Bake for 1 hour or until very tender. Remove from oven and set aside to cool. Reduce oven temperature to 180 C / Gas 4.
- Scrape pumpkin into a food processor; puree until smooth. Measure 375g pumpkin puree. In a large bowl, mix together 375g pumpkin puree, dark brown soft sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, allspice and salt. Stir in maple syrup, single cream and flour. Mix in eggs one at a time. Pour filling into unbaked pastry case.
- Bake at 180 C / Gas 4 for 1 hour or until centre is set.
Sugar pumpkins are smaller, sweeter and have more flavour than their larger jack-o-lantern counterparts. They are available in supermarkets around Halloween. If unavailable, use butternut squash instead.
Freeze any remaining pumpkin puree in small, leak proof containers. Fill within 2.5cm of the top; the contents will expand when frozen.
Never had pumpkin pie before but I will definitely be making it again! - 03 Nov 2013
i made my own lower fat version yesterday. instead of cream i used fat free greek yoghurt and i didnt use pastry at all (the pumpkin mix sets and keeps its shape fine), i also had some pecans to the top and drizzled with maple syrup...served with a dollop of fat free greek yoghurt...it was delicious and i had never tasted pumpkin in a dessert before! it was a bit of a fiddle cutting up a pumpkin and making it into puree (i chopped it up and steamed it in microvave then mashed it!)...i have taken the easy option for the next one and bought pre-made pumpkin puree lol!! - 25 Oct 2011
mmmmmmmm loved it, and so did the kids and u can't ask for anything more. - 17 Jun 2011