German-Style Pork Chops
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 thick cut pork loin chops
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 450g (16 oz) sauerkraut
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 2 tablespoons apple juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Prep:15min › Cook:30min › Ready in:45min
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Brown chops on both sides and remove from pan.
- Add the garlic, onion, sauerkraut, caraway seed, apple juice and salt and pepper to taste to the hot frying pan. Sauté for 3 to 4 minutes. Lay browned pork chops on top of sauerkraut mixture, cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Something else. Really great recipe Peter! My parents are German, so I grew up on this stuff, but didn't like it when I was a kid. I didn't have any apple juice, so I just added a bit of light brown sugar. To make this a more complete meal, I removed the chops after browning and fried some bacon pieces. I then added my onions and garlic and then the kraut and caraway seeds, along with a good bottle of beer and some chicken stock. While that was simmering, I placed my chops in a casserole and topped them with thinly sliced potatoes. The kraut then went on top of the potatoes, I covered with foil and placed it in the oven for about and hour and a half. The "broth" in this dish was so flavourful and the meat was extremely tender. Hubby was thrilled. Thanks so much!!!! - 24 Jul 2008
Used different ingredients. I have been making a recipe that is very close to this for years. However instead of apple juice, I use APPLE SAUCE and a few tablespoons of BROWN SUGAR! It really gives it nice flavour and my pork chops have always come out moist. Enjoy! - 24 Jul 2008
my oma (gran) made pork and sauerkraut every New Year. She'd have loved this recipe. When I served it New Year's Day, my husband said, "You sure don't have to wait a year to make this again." It was great. Note: If you use kraut with little or no juice -- you may want to add a little water or increase the apple juice. - 24 Jul 2008