Spiced Chocolate Banana Cake
- 250g margarine or butter
- 250g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 50g plain chocolate
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 bananas
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 300g plain flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
Prep:20min › Cook:1hr › Ready in:1hr20min
- Grease a springform cake tin and preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
- Beat the margarine and sugar until fluffy and add the eggs one by one, beating after each addition. Grate in the plain chocolate, add the cinnamon, cocoa and ground cloves and stir.
- Peel the bananas, mash them with a fork and sprinkle with a little bicarb of soda, so they don't turn brown.
- Add the mashed bananas to the margarine-egg mixture. Combine the flour and baking powder and stir into the cake mixture.
- Pour cake mixture into the prepared tin and bake in the preheated oven for about 1 hour.
- Allow the cake to cool and spread with chocolate ganache, if desired.
I made this cake as I was getting homesick for something 'English' and it turned out fabulous! It stayed moist for days and was lovely with a chocolate ganache - 17 Sep 2013
Gorgeous cake! I did not have ground cloves ,but I used mixed spice instead and this cake was great! I also used a square tin and the filling was too much for the tin so I spooned 8 cup cakes and baked them first! also delicious!without icing! - 05 Nov 2012