- 350g (12 oz) treacle
- 225g (8 oz) dark brown soft sugar
- 150ml (5 fl oz) cold water
- 50g (2 oz) butter
- 900g (2 lb) plain flour
- 1 dessertspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 dessertspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Prep:45min › Cook:10min › Ready in:55min
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas mark 4. Lightly grease baking tray.
- Mix together the treacle, brown sugar, water and butter.
- Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and spices. Add to sugar mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Roll dough .5cm (1/4 in) thick on a floured surface. Cut with floured gingerbread man pastry cutter. Place about 5cm (2 in) apart on baking tray. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Cool and decorate with icing of your choice.
After icing the men, you and the children can decorate them using Smarties for eyes and hundreds & thousands for the hair.
Perfect gingerbread biscuits
Check out our guide to Perfect gingerbread biscuits for tried-and-tested tips to make gingerbread biscuit baking fun and easy!
Watch our How to make gingerbread men video to see how to make perfect gingerbread biscuits every time!
first time I made it I did it exatly as recipe describes and they were good, but didn't really taste very gingery, so the second time I doubled both the ginger and the cinnamon amounts and they were perfect! - 16 Dec 2009
Altered ingredient amounts. doubled up on ginger and cinnamon - 16 Dec 2009
Lovely recipe. I decorated them with lemon icing. - 21 Dec 2010