- 1.3kg (3 lb) fresh gooseberries
- 1.3kg (3 lb) caster sugar
- 75ml (3 fl oz) liquid pectin (Certo)
Prep:20min › Cook:10min › Ready in:30min
- Remove blossom and stem ends from gooseberries. Force berries through food mill.
- Measure 4 tea cups of the berry mash into a large pot. Stir in the sugar. Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, and boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in pectin at once. Skim off any foam with a large metal spoon.
- Sterilise jars and lids in boiling water for at least 10 minutes. Take turns with skimming foam, and stirring the berry mixture for 5 minutes to let it cool slightly. Ladle into hot sterile jars, leaving .5cm (1/4 in) headspace.
- Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
Liquid pectin - sold under the brand name Certo - is a vegan product, derived from apple pectin.
Probably a really stupid question, but is it possible to freeze this jam and leave out the pectin? Would freezing remove the need for pectin? How long will it keep for? Thanks in advance Mark - 13 Aug 2009