- 450g (16 oz) fresh gooseberries
- 400g (14 oz) caster sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornflour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- shop-bought shortcrust pastry to line and cover two 23cm (9 in) pie dishes
- 2 tablespoons semi-skimmed milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons caster sugar
Prep:30min › Cook:35min › Ready in:1hr5min
- Stem and rinse berries.
- Crush 1/4 of the gooseberries in the bottom of a saucepan. Combine sugar, cornflour and salt; mix with crushed gooseberries. Cook and stir until mixture boils. Cook for 2 more minutes. Remove from heat, and add in remaining whole gooseberries.
- Pour fruit filling into pastry case. Adjust top pastry, pinching the seams, and cut slits to let steam escape. Brush with milk and sugar.
- Bake at 200 C / Gas mark 6 for 35 minutes.
Altered ingredient amounts. This is the recipe I use, but only use 300g sugar. I usually add a bit of cinnamon before covering with the top pastry. - 21 Jul 2008
I had just bought some gooseberries at the farmer's market and had no time to make jam. I made it and we just loved it! It is very sweet so I might cut down on the sugar next time and very rich but we savoured every bite! - 21 Jul 2008
Sorry way too much sugar just to sweet and sickly no one could finish it,same I've got tonnes of goosegogs! - 01 Aug 2012