Favourite Lemon Drizzle Cake
- 400g butter (plus a bit extra to grease the tin)
- 400g caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 eggs
- 400g flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Lemon glaze
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
Prep:20min › Cook:35min › Ready in:55min
- Butter a 20x30cm baking tin or line with baking parchment. Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
- Beat the butter, sugar, vanilla and eggs until fluffy. Mix the flour with the baking powder, and stir it and the lemon juice and lemon zest into the butter and egg mixture and mix well. Spread the batter over the prepared tin.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35-45 minutes. Mix the juice of 2 lemons with the icing sugar and water and allow to soak into the hot cake using a brush.
- Let the cake cool and brush with additional lemon glaze. Then cut into desired pieces.
Apart from stupid mistakes from me it was really great. Everyone at work loved it. I need to try again and do it justice. This amount was enough for a 12 - 14 person round cake plus an 8 - 10 person loaf. - 07 Feb 2011
I made this cake yesterday (with the help of my 3 year old daughter!) and it turned out beautifully. The only change to the recipe was that I used 7 large eggs instead of 8 medium sized. I used a large baking tray 35x26cm and it was more than enough for the 20 people at last night's street party planning meeting. In fact I may have to make it again for the actual Jubilee party! Lovely and lemony but not overpowering. A very light sponge too. Will definitely make this one again. - 17 Apr 2012
This cake had a lovely taste and texture. I added the zest & juice of 2 lemons as I was rushing and made a mistake, which meant the cakes took a bit longer to bake. I had enough mixture to fill 2 3lbs loaf tins and a few mini muffins!! - 30 May 2011