Russian apple cake
- 5-6 apples, grated
- 40ml rum
- 250g butter
- 250g sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 250g plain flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 125g ground or finely chopped nuts
Prep:15min › Cook:1hr › Ready in:1hr15min
- Pour the rum over the grated apples and allow to infuse for 30 minutes.
- Grease a springform cake tin and preheat the oven to 190 C / Gas 5.
- Beat butter until fluffy. Stir in sugar, vanilla and eggs. Mix flour and baking powder and mix gradually into the mixture along with the cocoa, cinnamon and nuts. Fold the apples into the mixture and pour into the prepared tin. Bake in the preheated oven for about 60 minutes.
Made it this morning and just had my first slice mmmmm. It was really easy to make, the longest bit being peeling and grating the apples. I have tried a couple of apple cake receipes and this is definately a keeper. Grating the cake makes cutting it much easier than when you cube the apple. It holds together well. It's a really moist cake that I imagine will keep well. Next time I might add some sultanas. Enjoy - 11 Nov 2012
I made this last Night, Oh goodness it turned out so well, its deliciously moist and tasty Will be making it again - 07 Oct 2013