Best Sponge Cake
Makes: 1 sponge cake
- 6 eggs
- 200g caster sugar
- grated zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
- 75g plain flour
- 75g cornflour
Prep:15min › Cook:25min › Extra time:40min › Ready in:1hr20min
- Preheat oven to 200 C / Gas 6. Line a springform tin or baking tray with baking parchment and grease with butter.
- Separate eggs. Beat egg yolks with 2/3 of the sugar until creamy with electric mixer. Stir in lemon zest.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites with the remaining sugar until stiff. Add to the egg yolks.
- Mix flour and cornflour and sift into the egg mixture. Fold everything together thoroughly but carefully with a spatula.
- Pour sponge mixture into the springform tin or onto the baking tray and smooth out. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. If you've used a baking tray, it only takes about 12 minutes.
- Remove the sponge from the tin immediately and cool on a wire rack.
Sponge made in a tin should be left to stand for a day before cutting and making a cake.
Hiya,I Loved This Sponge Cake But Instead Of The Lemon Zest I Put Mashed Bananas In So It Would Taste Of Banana.Gone With My Husband:D Great Work Love. - 03 Mar 2012
followed the instructions to theletter and it was still uncooked after 45mins. - 18 Oct 2012