3 people made this
About this recipe:
A simple dish, ready in a jiffy, it is a great accompaniment to chapatis, parathas and other flat bread.
3 large Maris Piper potatoes
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 medium red onion, chopped
2 green chillies, de-seeded and chopped
8 to 10 curry leaves, fresh or dried
1/2 teaspoon ginger paste
1/2 teaspoon garlic paste
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 medium tomato, chopped
30g shelled peas, fresh or frozen
salt to taste
- Peel and cube the potatoes into roughly 1cm cubes. Cover with water and cook in microwave for 5 to 6 minutes. Drain.
- Heat oil in a pan. When oil is smoking add mustard seeds and allow to splatter. Keep covered or use a splatter guard.
- Then add chopped onions, chillies and curry leaves. Fry until onions turn transparent.
- Add ginger, garlic paste and turmeric and stir for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add potatoes and salt to taste. Cover and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Add tomatoes and peas and cook for a few more minutes, until peas are soft. Mix well.
- Serve hot with chapatis, parathas or other flat bread.
This dish tastes good with any variety of potatoes. Only adjust the initial cooking time in microwave.
This is great with my Palak paratha (spinach flatbread).
I make this every time we have curry, as a side dish. I always put in more garlic than the recipe says, but it's a fab and easy dish.
- 10 Apr 2015
Tasty, quick and easy to prepare, the whole family enjoyed this with some basmati rice - will be making it again!
- 09 Jul 2012
Write a review
Click on stars to rate