Slow cooker chicken casserole
- 4 carrots
- 1 large onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 large potatoes, diced
- 1 handful chopped fresh parsley, rosemary and thyme
- 4 chicken thighs
- 4 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 40g pearl barley
- 20g split peas
- 20g marrow fat peas
- 600ml (1 pt) chicken stock
Prep:10min › Cook:4hr › Ready in:4hr10min
- Chop carrots, onion and garlic and add to medium hot pan for 5 minutes, add diced potatoes and herbs and cook for another 5 minutes. Add to slow cooker.
- Brown chicken in frying pan for 5 minutes. Add to slow cooker.
- Add the bay leaves, salt and pepper, barley, split peas, marrowfat peas and stock to the slow cooker. Cook on High for 3-4 hours or on low 8 hours. Serve with roast puddings, stuffing or bread and butter.
super duper - my family loved it. thanks - 08 Feb 2011
Made this for dinner, but without the bay leaves as didn't have any. perfect casserole - 22 Mar 2012
a really nice recipe! as a shift worker i usually make this before i go to work and leave it on for the day. a few alterations i make are chicken breasts (just because they are easier!) and frozen peas instead of marrow fat and split peas but a really nice recipe that you can pretty much add anything too! - 21 Jan 2013