Ham and Bean Soup
- 1 (500g) pack dried haricot beans, soaked overnight
- 3.5L (6 3/8 pints) water
- 1 leftover ham bone with meat attached
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
Prep:20min › Cook:2hr › Ready in:2hr20min
- In a large stockpot, add water, ham bone and pre-soaked beans. Bring to the boil, reduce heat, and simmer until beans are close to soft.
- Remove bone and cut off remaining meat. Remove 1/3 of beans and mash with potato masher or food processor.
- Return ham and beans back to pot and add onion, carrots, celery, garlic, pepper and paprika. If you are using the juices from a previously cooked ham, add now. Simmer until vegetables are tender, and serve.
Altered ingredient amounts. Great way to use leftover ham. I doubled the vegetables. Even the teenagers ate this. Cooked on simmer all day - thickened nicely. Froze well. - 24 Jul 2008
Made this soup yesterday, and it tasted incredible. I did not find it in the least bland..I simply shook in a prodigious amount of the spices called for, plus a pinch of salt. A delicious soup. - 24 Jul 2008
Absolutely the best tasting soup. We couldn't stop eating it. - 24 Jul 2008