Granny's red tomato chutney
Makes: 6 jars
- 2.7kg (6lb) tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 340g (12oz) caster sugar
- 15g (1/2oz) salt
- 1 teaspoon mild paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon pickling spices
- 1 pinch Cayenne pepper
- 300ml (1/2pt) vinegar
Prep:30min › Cook:3hr › Ready in:3hr30min
- Cook the tomatoes and onion together until a thick pulp.
- Add the other ingredients and cook until a thick consistency.
- Pre-heat sufficient jars in the oven and then ladle the chutney into them while still hot. Seal immediately and store. Improves with age but can be eaten when cooled.
I have eaten a jar of this that had lain neglected in the back of a cupboard for 10 years and it was yummy.
If the skin is tough on the tomatoes you will need to peel them, i put extra onions in and manage to get 2 1lb jars, it taste very nice sweet and tangy. - 31 Aug 2011
This a great recipe. I score my Tomatoes and put them in boiling water to take the skins off & i add finely copped red peppers as well. - 23 Aug 2013