Szechuan-Style Hot and Sour Chicken Soup
- 750ml (1 1/4 pints) chicken stock
- 100ml (4 fl oz) water
- 200g (7 oz) sliced fresh mushrooms
- 50g (2 oz) bamboo shoots
- 3 slices fresh root ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 dessertspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed chillies
- 500g (1 1/4 lb) skinless, boneless chicken breast fillets - cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- handful chopped fresh coriander (optional)
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 egg, beaten
Prep:10min › Cook:20min › Ready in:30min
- In a saucepan, combine the chicken stock, water, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, root ginger, garlic, soy sauce and crushed chillies. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer while you assemble the rest of the ingredients.
- Place the chicken strips into a bowl and toss with the sesame oil to coat. In a separate bowl, stir together the cornflour and vinegar, and set aside.
- Increase the heat under the stock to medium-high, and return to a rolling boil. Add the chicken. Return to the boil, and then drizzle in the egg while stirring slowly to create long strands of egg. Stir in the vinegar and cornflour. Simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through and the stock has thickened slightly, about 3 minutes. Serve garnished with spring onions and coriander.
Used different ingredients. I used left over cooked pork thinly sliced, tomato puree , lazy chili, red wine vinegar and sliced mange tout. - 19 Jan 2010
I loved how easy this recipe was, and that it used ingredients that were easy to find! Now that I have them all, I only need to pick up one or two things to make it regularly! - 15 Jun 2011
Lovely soup! My fussy family really enjoyed it and that's saying something. i did reduce the chicken to about 400g and used fresh chilli as i like the fresh stuff better. Love it! - 28 Jan 2013