Hot Cross Buns
- 175ml (6 fl oz) warm water (45 C)
- 50g (2 oz) butter
- 1 tablespoon dried milk powder
- 50g (2 oz) caster sugar
- 3/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 375g (13 oz) plain flour
- 1 tablespoon dried active baking yeast
- 100g (4 oz) dried currants
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons water
- For the icing
- 50g (2 oz) icing sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 dessertspoon semi skimmed milk
Prep:20min › Cook:20min › Ready in:40min
- Put warm water, butter, milk powder, caster sugar, salt, egg, egg white, flour and yeast in bread machine and start on dough program.
- When 5 minutes of kneading are left, add currants and cinnamon. Leave in machine till doubled.
- Punch down on floured surface, cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Shape into 12 balls and place in a greased 22x33cm (9x12 in) tin. Cover and let rise in a warm place till doubled, about 35-40 minutes.
- Mix egg yolk and 2 tablespoons water. Brush on dough balls.
- Bake at 190 C / Gas mark 5 for 20 minutes. Remove from pan immediately and cool on wire rack.
- To make crosses: Mix together icing sugar, vanilla and milk. Brush a cross on each cooled bun.
Something else. To make the crosses, I made a sweet dough out of an egg white, some icing sugar, plain flour and some vanilla and put it on after brusing the tops with the egg yolk mixture - turned out great! Everyone asked for the recipe! - 14 Jul 2008
Just made these buns today, wonderful. I didn't want to wait to add the sultanas, (not a currant in the house) so they went in with everything else, didn't seem to hurt anything except to maybe make the buns a darker colour. A quick tip to make the icing, put your sugar, milk, and vanilla in a heavy plastic sandwich bag, mix by kneading the bag gently when all the ingredients are mixed well cut a tiny hole in one corner of the bag and squeeze to make the crosses. - 14 Jul 2008
Used different ingredients. Since I was short on time, I decided to try this bread machine version over my 'traditional' recipe....and these buns were delicious! They even tasted just like my regular recipe! I did make some changes as my standby recipe was a bit different and you may want to try this too: I added 1 tsp. vanilla extract, 1/2 tsp. allspice, 1 tsp. each dried lemon and orange peel and 10 tbsp. mixed candied fruit. So good with a cuppa - 14 Jul 2008