Moist Lemon Yoghurt Cake
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 185g caster sugar
- 1 lemon, zest grated
- 1 (150g) tub plain natural yoghurt
- 150ml oil
- 275g plain flour
- 3 eggs
Prep:15min › Cook:35min › Ready in:50min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease a loaf tin.
- In a large bowl, pour all ingredients in the order listed. Mix until smooth.
- Pour batter into the tin and bake for about 35 minutes or until a knife comes out clean after being inserted in the centre of the cake.
Strangely interesting cake! The texture is really quite different to a normal butter-based sponge. This is much more cake, with a denser texture (vaguely like a madeira but very moist with it). It's very pale and at first I didn't think it had cooked through but tasted great, ultra-easy to make and lots of praise for it. Personally though, zest of one lemon would not have been nearly enough. It was still a fairly subtle flavour at the two that I used and I was glad I'd added a lemon syrup over the top after cooking. Cooking time in Gas 4 was more like 50 mins for me. Definitely making this again! - 11 Jul 2011
i didn't want the rest of the lemon left over so used the juice for a lemon drizzle on top. delicious! - 05 Oct 2012
Does this recipe work with low fat/no fat yoghurt? - 28 Aug 2012