German Apple Fritters
1 / 1
5 people made this
About this recipe:
These fritters are puffy, crisp and delicious. One just isn't enough! Sliced apples are coated in a batter, deep-fried and dusted with cinnamon sugar.
4 large apples, peeled, cored and cut into 5mm slices
For the Batter
1 tablespoon lemon juice
220g plain flour
1 pinch salt
1/2 lemon, zest grated
3 egg whites
clarified butter (ghee) for frying (about 1.5 kg)
cinnamon sugar or icing sugar
- Toss apples with lemon juice and set aside.
- Stir together wine, flour, sugar, salt and lemon zest to form a smooth batter.
- In a clean bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into batter gently.
- Heat butter in a large pot. Test temperature with a wooden cooking spoon - when you immerse spoon into oil, bubbles should rise rise.
- Dip sliced apples into the batter and fry until golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar or icing sugar and serve warm.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate