1 / 1 Picture by: babsi_s
German Apple Fritters
- 4 large apples, peeled, cored and cut into 5mm slices
- For the Batter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 250ml wine
- 220g plain flour
- 35g sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 lemon, zest grated
- 3 egg whites
- For Frying
- clarified butter (ghee) for frying (about 1.5 kg)
- To Serve
- cinnamon sugar or icing sugar
Prep:15min › Cook:15min › Ready in:30min
- Toss apples with lemon juice and set aside.
- Stir together wine, flour, sugar, salt and lemon zest to form a smooth batter.
- In a clean bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into batter gently.
- Heat butter in a large pot. Test temperature with a wooden cooking spoon - when you immerse spoon into oil, bubbles should rise rise.
- Dip sliced apples into the batter and fry until golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar or icing sugar and serve warm.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!