- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
- 1 small carrot, thinly sliced
- 1/2 stick celery, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 30g unsalted butter
- 3 medium parsnips, thinly sliced
- 500ml chicken stock
- ground nutmeg
- crème fraiche (if desired)
Prep:10min › Cook:25min › Ready in:35min
- Heat the butter in a saucepan and saute onion, garlic, ginger, carrot, celery and thyme for 10 minutes over medium-low heat or until onion is soft.
- Add parsnips and stock. Bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes until the vegetables are very soft.
- Puree soup and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. If the soup is too thick, thin with some water or if you like it creamy with crème fraiche.
Although I did not use the ginger or celery I used 5 parnsips. I loved this soup. I may have used a little too much butter but it made it richer. I will be making this again very soon! - 26 Sep 2012
Lovely! Here in the Netherlands parsnips were a forgotten veg but now luckily, since a few years a standard autumn veg. - 17 Oct 2011
Yummy Very simple to make too - 07 May 2011