Baked eggs with peppers and chorizo
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 125g chorizo sausage, peeled and diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, de-seeded and sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, de-seeded and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 150 to 200g vine ripened tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 free range eggs
- 1 small knob butter
Prep:15min › Cook:15min › Ready in:30min
- Preheat the oven to 190 C / Gas 5. Place the potatoes in a bowl and microwave for 3 minutes.
- In a large frying pan heat some oil to medium and add the potatoes. Cook, stirring often for until brown and starting to crisp, about 10 minutes; set aside. In another large nonstick frying pan add the chorizo and cook over a medium heat until you see some of the fat being released. With a slotted spoon remove and set aside.
- Add the onion to the pan, add a little oil if needed. Cook until translucent. Add the peppers and garlic and cook over a medium heat, stirring often for aboiut 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and paprika and cook until reduced slightly and mushy, about 5 minutes. Return the chorizo to pan and add the potatoes. Mix well. Distribute evenly between the oven proof individual dishes.
- Bake in the oven for 3 minutes. Remove and make a hollow in the middle of each dish. Carefully crack an egg into the middle. Dot with a little butter and return to the oven. Cook until the whites are set but the yolk still runny, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from the oven, season and serve with crusty bread.
You can make ahead all steps apart from the eggs going in. Chill until needed. Remove from the fridge 1/2 hour before baking and proceed with baking in oven for 3 minutes and then adding the eggs.
See it on my blog
Nice and tasty but the preparation/cooking times are optimistic. - 11 May 2012
Good, adaptable dish. I used a tin of chopped tomatoes instead of fresh for convenience after work. Very tasty & it will become a regular dinner in our house. - 18 Jan 2014