Chocolate Victoria Sponge
Makes: 16 Slices
- 150g butter or margarine
- 150g caster sugar
- 110g self-raising flour
- 40g cocoa powder
- 3 medium sized eggs
- 165g icing sugar
- 35g cocoa powder
- 100g butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Prep:15min › Cook:15min › Ready in:30min
- Preheat the oven to 200 C / 180 C fan / Gas 6.
- Cream the fat with the sugar.
- Sift in the flour and cocoa, add the eggs and mix until the mixture is completely combined.
- Divide the mixture between to cake tins, then place the cakes into the oven for about 15 minutes, or until cakes have risen and are srpingy to touch.
- Turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- Cream the icing sugar, cocoa, butter and vanilla together, using a little water if needed. Turn one of the cakes over so that the top is on the bottom. Spread half of the mixture onto it, and then take the other cake and place it on top, so the top is on top. If you have enough butter cream left at the end, spread it round the outsides so that the cake is completely covered, except the bottom.
- Leave the frosting to set a little before serving.
This recipe was great when I made it in two 7" cake tins but how do I increase it to make a 9" verison. For part of my wedding cake so any help would be great - 12 May 2012
Okay...WOW! Absolutely delisioso! HMMMMM! I ate half of it before I'd even put the icing on...the icing came out really nice. I made the cake with vegan egg replacer and dairy free butter and it is sublime..thanks! x - 09 Apr 2012
I'm going to try this over the wk'end, looks delicious and reviews are good. Claire1973 try this it converts it for you. http://www.cakebaker.co.uk/baking-tin-size-conversion-calculator.html - 18 May 2012