Scottish Empire Biscuits
Makes: 48 biscuits
- 450g butter, softened
- 200g caster sugar
- 500g plain flour, sifted
- 340g raspberry jam
- 24 glace cherries, halved
- 950g icing sugar
- 125ml milk
Prep:30min › Cook:10min › Ready in:40min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Line baking trays with baking parchment.
- Cream together butter and sugar until fluffy and light. Gradually stir in the flour until well blended. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 5mm thickness. Cut into circles using a pastry/cookie cutter.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes. Allow biscuits to cool on baking trays for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Sandwich one teaspoon of jam between two biscuits. Repeat with remaining biscuits.
- In a medium bowl, mix together icing sugar and milk to form a spreadable icing. Spread on top of the biscuit sandwiches. Top each biscuit with half a cherry whilst the icing is still wet.
I made Empire Biscuits many moons ago and couldn't find the original recipe. I tried this one. I halved the quantity. Recipe is very easy to use. The biscuits are flavoursome, but not the texture I remembered. However, if I'd gone into someone's home, and the hostess said she'd baked them, I'd have told her they were delicious ... and they were for us. xx - 19 Sep 2011
I had a go at making these for the family. The receipe is easy to follow and as long as you leave space between each biscuit then there should be no problems. I added a large tablespoon of custard powder to the ingredients, as this is recommended in an old receipe of my mothers. End result was great. The boys and their dad fought over how many each was having, making me promise to make them again soon. Well worth giving them a try. - 02 Mar 2012
Attempted these biscuits today. Halved the ingredients and followed the instructions. Unfortunately the biscuits spread in the tin to form a sea of biscuit. I was so disappointed because I had spent ages cutting different shapes with the cutters. total disaster. - 23 Feb 2012