- 10 egg yolks
- 1 (397g) tin sweetened condensed milk
- 345ml evaporated milk
- 50g margarine
- 3 tablespoons dark brown soft sugar
Prep:10min › Cook:1hr10min › Extra time:30min cooling › Ready in:1hr50min
- Beat together the egg yolks, condensed milk and evaporated milk; set aside.
- Melt margarine in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the dark brown soft sugar; keep stirring until the dark brown soft sugar has dissolved and is smooth.
- Evenly spread the sugar over the bottom of a pie dish, then pour in the egg yolk-condensed milk mixture. Cover with foil. (See footnote).
- Fill a large pot approximately 3/4 full with water and bring to a simmer on the hob. Place the pie dish over the simmering water and cook for 65 to 70 minutes, until flan has set.
- Remove flan from the boiling water and allow to cool for at least 30 minutes. To serve, loosen the flan from the pie dish by running a knife around the edges; invert onto a serving plate. Serve at room temperature or cold.
Since this dessert is cooked on the hob and not in the oven, it's important to have a pie dish with handles and an appropriately sized, large tin. The two must fit together well, securely holding the pie dish over the simmering water while the dessert cooks.