1 / 1
22 people made this
About this recipe:
This sponge cake is incredibly moist and delicious. It's also super-easy to make. Enjoy with a dusting of icing sugar or top with your favourite icing.
Makes: 1 20x30cm cake
300g caster sugar
350g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Lightly grease and flour 20x30cm or similar sized baking tin.
- Cream margarine and sugar together, then stir in 1 tablespoon buttermilk.
- Sieve flour and cornflour together three times, then add baking powder and salt.
- Combine 350ml buttermilk with 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda. Alternate adding buttermilk to margarine mixture with flour.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into batter. Stir in the vanilla and almond extracts. Pour batter into prepared tin.
- Bake at 180 C / Gas 4 for 30 to 40 minutes.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate