Carrot Walnut Cake
- 375g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 225g butter, softened
- 220g light dark brown soft sugar
- 200g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 125g chopped walnuts
- 150g sultanas or raisins
- 440g grated carrots
- 225g cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 110g butter
- 160g icing sugar
Prep:30min › Cook:1hr › Ready in:1hr30min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease and flour a 25cm round cake tin. Sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarb, cinnamon and salt, then set aside.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the 225g butter, dark brown soft sugar and caster sugar. Stir in the eggs and the orange juice. Add the sifted dry ingredients, mix well. Finally, fold in the walnuts, raisins and carrots. Pour the cake mixture into the prepared tin.
- Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven, until a tester comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack.
- To make the icing, in a medium bowl, beat together the cream cheese, vanilla, 110g butter and icing sugar until smooth. Spread over cooled cake.
Lovely recipe, really easy to follow and a very unique taste. I made this for my family and everyone loved it, thank you! - 29 Oct 2011
had a few different recipes for carrot cake and this one is by far the best!!!!!!!!! - 05 May 2012
even good with out frosting or cream - 18 Oct 2012