Flour Tortilla Wraps
- 800g (1 3/4 lb) plain flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 350ml (12 fl oz) boiling water
Prep:20min › Cook:15min › Ready in:35min
- Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Rub in butter to resemble texture of polenta. Add water slowly, mixing with your hands to make a soft dough. You may not need all the water.
- Knead a few minutes on floured surface until smooth and elastic. Lubricate top with oil, put back in bowl and let rest, covered for 10 minutes.
- Divide into small balls the size of golf balls and proceed to roll out into size and thickness you prefer.
- Cook in dry heavy frying pan until top is slightly bubbly then turning on opposite side for a minute or two. Keep stacked and warm inside a clean tea towel.
Something else. I like my tortillas very thin; I found the easiest way to achieve this is to roll them out twice; once to about saucer-size, then leave while rolling out the rest, then the second time you can get them really thin; a bit of a fag, but worth it! - 11 Feb 2009
Altered ingredient amounts. These were very easy to make and so delicious, but soooooo very difficult to roll out. At first it was easy when the dough was still warm... but it got tougher and tougher. I halved the recipe and got more than enough and had a good workout in the kitchen with the roller. - 14 Jul 2008
Really great tortillas well impressed, I halfed the measures . One tip on rolling out i put a big 18inch piece of cling film on work top floured it place doughball on it formed it 80% by hand, floured the disk then folded the other half of film over it after dusting with flour and rolled to the thickness i like . Perfect everytime and worktop and rolling pin were clean after so even better less cleaning down afterwards. The ones i like i only cooked on med/hot pan for 30 secs a side - 13 Aug 2011