Perfect Pound Cake
Makes: 1 26 tube cake
- 375g plain flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 225g unsalted butter, softened
- 100g margarine
- 525g caster sugar
- 5 eggs
- 250ml milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
Prep:20min › Cook:1hr20min › Extra time:4hr cooling › Ready in:5hr40min
- Do not preheat the oven. Grease 26cm tube cake tin and line bottom with baking parchment.
- Sieve together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, margarine and sugar on low speed for 10 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, blending well after each addition. Alternately add the flour mixture and milk, mixing well. Add the vanilla and lemon extracts.
- Pour batter into the prepared tin. Set the oven temperature to 180 C / Gas 4. Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of cake comes out clean. Allow cake to cool in the tin for 1 hour. Remove to a cake rack and cool for at least 3 hours.
I used this recipe for a cake I made for a friend's son's birthday. I needed a cake that I could carve and sculpt to shape and this fit the bill perfectly, and more than just looking good when finished...it tasted delicious! I got just as many compliments for the cake itself as I did for the 'decorating'. Not a scrap went to waste either because I kept all the bits that got carved away and had many a happy cup of tea whilst picking at the 'leftovers'. Way too tasty to throw even a crumb away. Great recipe, highly recommended! - 08 Jun 2013