Courgette, Tomato and Mozzarella Bake
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 courgettes, sliced
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 115g mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 4 large tomatoes, peeled and sliced
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Prep:15min › Cook:45min › Ready in:1hr
- Preheat oven to 190 C / Gas 5. Move oven rack into the top third of the oven.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat and spread the courgette slices into the frying pan in a single layer. If they don't fit, cook them in batches. Sprinkle pieces of garlic over the courgette and cook until the courgette are golden brown on both sides, about 8 minutes per side. Remove from heat.
- Arrange the courgette in a 20x30cm glass baking dish, alternating with slices of mozzarella cheese and tomato, so that the slices overlap each other in a neat row pattern. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese and basil over the dish and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the cheese is melted and brown and the dish is bubbling, about 30 minutes.
Parmesan cheese is not truly vegetarian, as it contains animal rennet. To make this dish 100% vegetarian, omit the cheese or find a suitable vegetarian substitute made without animal rennet. In supermarkets look for the 'parmesan style hard cheeses' which are suitable for vegetarians.
I've made this dish a few times now with some tiny variations due to the ingredients at hand. I only had small cherry tomatoes so sliced them in half and made it with a layer of courgette at the bottom, followed by the tomatoes, then the mozzarella. I also mixed a good handful of breadcrumbs with the parmesan on top to give a cripsy top. Lovely! We thought we'd try it with some chicken next time for another variation. - 30 Aug 2013
So easy, but tastes delicious, and arranged like it's shown in the photo, wows at the dinner table! I added slices of yellow pepper, and sprinkled with torn basil leaves. Definitely worth a go! - 11 Aug 2013