1 / 1 Picture by: mominml
Chocolate and Bacon Muffins
Makes: 24 muffins
- 12 rashers streaky bacon
- 250g plain flour
- 65g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 400g caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 250ml cold, strongly brewed coffee
- 250ml buttermilk
- 125ml vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting
Prep:15min › Cook:30min › Ready in:45min
- Preheat oven to 190 C / Gas 5. Line two 12-hole muffin tins with paper cases. Place bacon in a large, deep frying pan. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, 65g cocoa powder, sugar, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the centre and pour in the eggs, coffee, buttermilk and oil. Stir just until blended. Mix in 3/4 of the bacon, reserving the rest for garnish. Spoon the batter into prepared tins.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the tops spring back when lightly pressed, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool in the tins set over a wire rack. When cool, arrange the muffins on a serving serving plate. Ice with your favourite chocolate icing and sprinkle reserved bacon crumbs on top. Dust with additional cocoa powder.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!