1 / 1 Picture by: DETTY
Chocolate Orange Layer Cake
Serves: 1 4 layer 20cm cake
- 2 oranges, zest peeled off with a vegetable peeler and cut into 5mm strips
- 5 tablespoons caster sugar
- 4 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 170g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 200g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 300g plain flour
- 40g cornflour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 175ml orange juice
- 300ml double cream
- 60g unsalted butter
- 425g plain chocolate chips
- 225g cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
Prep:1hr › Cook:35min › Extra time:2hr chilling › Ready in:3hr35min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Coat two 20cm round cake tins with cooking oil spray and line bottoms with baking parchment.
- Place orange zest in a food processor and coarsely chop, stopping occasionally to scrape down sides of bowl. Add 5 tablespoons sugar and blend until zest is finely chopped. Add 4 tablespoons marmalade and pulse until mixture is pureed. Transfer to a large bowl. Add 170g unsalted butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- With an electric mixer, cream mixture until light and fluffy. Beat in 200g sugar. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Sieve together flour, cornflour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into small bowl. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the orange juice, mixing just until incorporated. Divide batter into prepared tins.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in tins for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- For the Chocolate Ganache: Bring cream and butter to simmer in heavy large saucepan. Remove from heat, add chocolate chips and stir until melted.
- For Orange Cream Cheese Filling: Beat together cream cheese, 1 tablespoon sugar and 2 tablespoons marmalade.
- To assemble cake: Cut each cake into 2 layers. Place 1 layer on plate. Spread filling on the bottom cake. Pour hot ganache over bottom layer, let cool slightly. Top with second cake layer. Spread with filling. Pour hot ganache over second layer. Repeat for third layer. Top with fourth cake layer. Pour remaining ganache over entire cake for a shiny finish. Refrigerate uncovered cake until ganache is a hard coating.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!