12 people made this
About this recipe:
Toothsome and economical, potted beef is a favourite on toast or in sandwiches.
500g (1 1/4 lb) beef stewing steak, diced
100g (4 oz) butter
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
paprika to taste
ground nutmeg to taste
- In a heavy medium saucepan, simmer the beef in 1cm (1/4 in) of water. Stew until very tender, about 2 to 3 hours, replacing water as necessary. Drain, reserving the liquid.
- Pass the cooked meat through a meat grinder twice, until it is the consistency of a thick, stringy paste.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Filter the melted butter through clean muslin (cheesecloth), to remove the milk solids.
- In a medium bowl, mix the cooked meat with 3/4 of the butter. Season with salt, pepper, paprika and nutmeg to taste. Stir in desired amount of reserved cooking liquid to moisten.
- Transfer the mixture to sterile containers and top with remaining butter. Seal and chill in the refrigerator until serving.
Instead of melting and straining butter through muslin, use tinned ghee (clarified butter) instead.
- 05 Aug 2008
Write a review
Click on stars to rate